Saturday, April 11, 2009

Hop Performances

We went to the Hop performance of the Paul Taylor Dance company last week, and I have to confess that I wasn't blown away. I know they are the real deal, and we were lucky to get to see it, but it had me scratching my head a little. I hate to be so boorish and uncivilized, but somehow it struck me as banal and mundane, as if they were just running around the stage. Not as provocative as I'd thought, though what was interesting was the social commentary on societal stereotypes. In that sense, their message was clear.

The slapstick humor just never really worked for me, and this was no different. BUT, it did appeal to the kids, so that's all that matters, so I'm not complaining. And we got to hang with our buddies, the Mack's, so it was a nice day.

But I still don't get it. Then again, I run into this a lot with modern dance.

No comments: