Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The Weekend and T-ball

I did something this weekend that I vowed I'd never do again, or at least try my best to NOT do: I sat around and talked about what was on TV. How pathetic is that? So reminiscent of living in LA, I couldn't believe it, but in retrospect, I guess I should be grateful that I at least had something to talk about.

We went to R&J's house for S's birthday, and it was a really nice party. I was late, of course, having completely screwed up my schedule and mistaking the start time. I was in the middle of a massive woodcutting session (more than halfway done, BTW) when I realized we were late. I didn't even have time to shower or shave, so I threw on a hat, packed the kids in the car, and headed over. By the time we got there, the other kids were already playing full swing and the parents were getting sloshed on beer and margaritas. I avoided alcohol and was thus the party pooper, but I've resolved not to give in to peer pressure, alcohol be damned.

They did a nice job, and there were a lot of people there. Many I'd never seen before, and I managed to reconnect with some old friends. I'm guessing there was a Waldorf faction there because J alluded to it, and I recognized some of the Waldorf families.

Anyway, at some point, the conversation turned to the show Lost, which we don't watch on regular TV because we don't get it, but we've followed it on DVD (Netflix). We love the show, but it's not something we want to talk about as if it were a part of our lives. And yet, there I was, doing just that. At least the conversation flowed, even if it had nothing to do with real life.

Today is Tue and we have T-ball, and I'm guessing I'm going to do coaching duty once again. I'm still surprised how many parents don't want to coach or simply refuse. And yet they show up at the practice, it's not a stretch to just grab a mitt and get out there. I feel self conscious and don't know what to tell the kids. I try to instill basics that I learned in my years of playing baseball, but the reality is, these kids are too young, they just aren't gettin git. They're having fun, but as far as picking up on the game, they don't have the attention span or the hand eye coordination. And the situation is just ripe for an injury, especially when some of the bigger kids, trying to be superstars, come up to bat and rip the ball.

One girl already took one on the chin and nobody, and I mean nobody stopped to ask her if she was okay. I went up to her and asked if her mom was nearby, but wasn't sure where the proper boundaries were. Her mom finally came over, but I wonder if she'll be back.

Gotta run and get some practice in before the big practice. Until then, thanks for reading.

No comments: