Thursday, January 28, 2010

Slip Sliding Away and Crazy Weather

This crazy weather is a bummer on many levels. It rained cats and dogs for two days straight, I couldn't believe it. Besides, ruining our beautiful snow, it turns into ice the minute the warm spell passes. This makes it hard to ski, drive, and even just walk.

Case in point, our driveway. I was walking to the car to put some recycling in the back and slipped and fell, spilling the recycling all over the ground. The worst part of it was that I was essentially standing still and my feet went out from under me... the driveway had a slight incline. The funny thing is that kids love it when the driveway becomes our very own ice skating rink. They have endless fun while dad stresses over whether or not we'll make it out to the road. Just another example of how kids teach us to lighten up.

I'd heard from R about these things called Yaktrax. They're rubber soles that you slip onto the bottom of your shoes and have wire bottoms to grip the ice. I thought they were a great idea because I have issues with the ice come February and March. In the past I've had to wear my snow shoes to get wood because they have spiked bottoms. Otherwise, there is no way I'd make it to the wood pile and back.

I went to Aubuchon and they had the Yaktrax, so I got a pair. The first question I got from the kids was, "Did you get us some?" I thought they liked sliding on the ice?

They work great, I tried them minute we got home. It's nice not slipping and breaking your tailbone. Life is good.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: