Monday, January 18, 2010

Taking a Bullet for Domestic Bliss

I'm gradually catching up, so bear with me, if you will.

We had a really nice weekend, and though I had grandiose plans to get out and make the most of the snow, we ended up doing none of the things I wanted, but it worked out beautifully. First, I thought it would be nice to head over to Occom pond and for skating and hot cocoa. They do this thing on the weekends where the entire planet shows up and skates on the pond. They provide free marshmallows and cocoa (it's a country club, they can afford it), and the pond is huge so you can skate a wide loop. The only downside is that all the weekend warriors (you know the type, frat boys who never made it to the NHL), are out playing hockey, and they take up most of the ice, but there's still plenty of room.

I also wanted to go skiing because Sunday is a great day to hit the hill.

Well, as it turns out, nobody really wanted to go. We had a busy Saturday night, and we skied on Friday afternoon, so we were in want of a break. I tend to get a little frenzied when it comes to skiing, I can't get enough. So by the time Sunday came around, I was ready to hit the slopes. A&N did not want to, and preferred to stay at home to help mom make the tunic. That meant I had a free pass to go skiing all by my lonesome. Who could ask for more?

Well, the more I thought about it, the more I realized that rather than ski by myself, there were plenty of things to do around the house, and why pass up a golden opportunity for us to hang out and be together, all four of us.

So I gave up my ski opportunity and did a bunch of stuff at home, with the help of the kids, of course. I made a few shelves, and A&N came down and wrecked havoc with assorted power tools, which is what they're for, anyway. They also finished the tunic, which came out beautifully.

Then we had supper and ended a nice day at home. Not only did we hang out and be mellow, but we got things done. Sure, I didn't get to ski, but we spent quality time together. I'd also gone to Home Depot and got more windows, but that's a story for another blog.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: