Monday, June 7, 2010

Closing Night

The final show and the end of an amazing run. Sunday's show had a great turnout, less than Saturday but about the same as Friday. People really came out to support the performers, and it was such a great experience for everyone involved.

A really flourished and loved the experience. She is so good on stage when she is having fun with it, and can really, as some of her teachers have alluded to, reach deep down within and find her voice. I think she really thrives in that environment, and she gets to interact with like-minded people and tap into her creative/dramatic side. Plus, she loves the attention.

The last show was probably the sloppiest, with more mistakes made and a feeling that people were understandably tired, but they did a stand up job, nonetheless, and the audience responded in kind. When it was done, it was hard to grasp the concept that it was over.

From my own personal perspective, I found the closing of the show an emotional letdown and a bit depressing. After all the strain and effort and anxiety and emotional highs, I came away from it feeling a little blue, wondering to myself, "What next?" I was standing around theater, not sure what to do with myself. Everyone was displaying a warm glow of accomplishment, and rightfully so, but when you pour your heart into something and then it's over, it can take some time to re-adjust.

I guess, in the end, as much as I'm glad to have our normal lives back, there are aspects of the show that we'll miss. Mostly the sense of community and camaraderie the comes with working so hard on something with a great group of people. There are times you just don't want it to end, and other times you can't wait until it's over.

Whatever be the case, the kids connected with their friends, made new ones (as did mom and dad), and as far as I can tell, the signs keep pointing to creative pursuits for the kids, especially where drama and performing are involved. I still like the idea of A working on stage, not as a career, but for the challenges and rewards, the creative outlet, and especially for the quirky and interesting group of kids that she will encounter. I really feel like they are more her speed. Let's not waste our time with the prom queens and football team captains. We want the individual and thoughtful fringe artists and future bohemians.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have dumplings to make.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Valerie C. Fouche for the pic.

No comments: