Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Last T-Ball

We had a heck of a busy day yesterday, but managed to get it all done. It was the last t-ball game for N, and though he's sad to see it end, I have to confess, I'm not going to miss it as much. Time is like gold over here. AND, since I'm also aspiring to be like Martha Stewart, I figured we'd make cupcakes as the final farewell, though in all honesty, I wouldn't have complained if the other parents took a bit more initiative, but who am I to say?

Either way, I also had to make the final batch of dumplings, as well as R's morning bread, which I haven't made in days because we are so swamped. This, of course, meant that I'd have to spend the day slaving over a hot stove, barefoot and pregnant. It was such a beautiful day, too.

I definitely did npt have time to waste whining, and got to work early. Because it was so nice, the kids spent the day outside, which made it easier for me to streamline my operation. The cupcakes were easy, and baked quickly. I used a simple, basic chocolate cake recipe, using whole wheat flour, of course, instead of regular. Since we hate using the oven for only one thing, we made brownies, as well, and then mom's special breakfast bread. Once that was all done, it was time to make the dumplings.

The kids helped decorate the cupcakes, and they did a stand up job. They worked very diligently and I really appreciated the help. You have to love win-win situations. As the evening hour approached, we had to get ready for the game. Because the library was also kicking off the summer reading program, which A wanted to attend, we were going to have to drop her off alone at the library and then take N to the game. I knew there would be plenty of people she knew, and I spoke with AM the librarian and she said A would be fine, she'd keep an eye on her, and her daughter would be there and she and A are buddies. Again, I knew she'd be fine, I just get a little anxious dropping her off alone, even though she loves when I do that.

We got to the library and there was a good crowd, and right off the bat A took off to play with friends. N and I went to t-ball, and it was a fun last game. The coach KW got all the parents involved and we played Whiffle-ball. Everyone had cupcakes and ice cream sandwiches, and it was a nice time. N also connected with his buddy, CV, and we met his folks and spoke of having a playdate. They play at the same level, and share a love of the game, so they are a good match, though his dad was a professional baseball player with the Cubs, so that's a little intimidating.

Speaking of intimidating, I was a little worried about coming up to bat, for fear of striking out. I know, male insecurity is a terrible thing, but it wasn't so bad, and I managed to hit the ball. After the game, we had a nice talk with some of the parents, and CV approached N and asked if he'd like to play catch together, a major bonus. Then we went to meet A.

The library program had a magician, and I didn't catch his name, but man was he funny. He did a great job integrating the kids and entertaining them, as well as the parents. We were rolling in the aisles. A had a blast, and got to hang with DH and EM, so she loving it. Afterward, she and EM got to hang on the playground while we watched the big kids play with N.

Then we came home, ate supper (we went vegetarian with our new favorite, Peanut Sesame Noodles) and went to bed. Man was I beat, but of course, I had to Farmer's Market to look forward to and prepare for the next day. Oh joy.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to NRL, ARL and Julien Tromeur for the pics.

No comments: