Thursday, June 17, 2010

My Glorious Life of Public Service

I've been asked to sit on two more committees, and I'm beginning to wonder if someone is playing a big fat joke on me, not unlike candid camera. I mean really, do these people know what they're getting themselves into in asking me? Some of them have never met me, and when they finally do, they'll probably do a double-take and ask themselves, "Whoa, what have we gone and done?"

I was contacted about a month ago to be on the governing board of the Howe Library, which for the record, is one of the best libraries that I've ever used. As you might have guessed, you don't have to be a town resident to serve. I tried contacting the woman who called me in order to demand a recount, but failed at every attempt, so I figured it was done and over. That is, of course, until yesterday, when I got a letter thanking me for agreeing to help and encouraging me to attend the official nomination gathering in October. Wow, do I need to wear a tie? I actually own three of them.

Then I was asked to serve on the art council board in town. They mush have exhausted all their options and had to dredge the bottom of the barrel. RC approached me and inquired, and I was flattered but baffled, especially in light of the fact that I'm not an artist (but play one on TV). There is also the issue of my spectacularly abundant amounts of free time.

Either way, I'm honored to be considered but am not sure what to make of all this. The arts council was responsible for putting on the fabulous show, Vermont Idol, so maybe it is a good thing if it could happen more frequently. We shall see.

Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to ilker for the pic.

No comments: