Saturday, July 10, 2010

Another Rough Start for the Grateful Dumpling

We had another tough start to the market last week, and like the previous week where we were pulled in every direction, what started out difficult ended rather well. It seems as if some sort of pattern may be developing. We had to arrive at the market late because the kids had a camp closing ceremony and we didn't want to miss it. We could have sent a single parent representative, but we thought it would be nice for both of us to be there. Besides, like everything, we have to keep the dumpling life in perspective and remember why we're doing this.

We didn't know about the ceremony until the day before, so it was rather hard to plan properly. R claimed that I wasn't paying attention to what I was being told, but in my defense, I spoke with other parents and they, too, didn't know about it until the day before.

Also, a friend asked if their kids could sell lemonade at our table that afternoon. I said fine, though we couldn't really sell our cider at the same time, so that complicated things a little. We don't have much space, either, so with 2 adults, 2 kids, and 2 more kids, we were pushing things to the limit. Then again, how can you say no to 2 cool kids?

Either way, we had a conundrum. The ceremony was to start at 4:00, the same time the market begins. We were basically going to have to get there late, which isn't the end of the world since the market is slow at first. However, I was contacted by a few people who wanted to see us at the market (for assorted reasons) and I told them we'd be there late. I also had to put a sign up saying we'd be there after 4:30.

So I went to the market, got all set up, put up a sign apologizing for our tardiness, and then left everything there. I went to the closing ceremony, which was cute (A did most of the talking, she was the self-appointed representative and did a stand-up job, maybe going above and beyond the call of duty, but she gets credit), and we got a chance to see the things they did. It was really cool, and I think everyone was bummed that it was over, but exhausted, as well. I'm guessing they didn't get too much sleep on the last night.

The ceremony, of course, went longer than we thought, and before we knew it, it was closing in on 5:00 PM, and we were very late. Bummer. I rushed home, got the dumplings, went to the market and got set up. Several of our friends were waiting, and I filled their orders immediately. Our friends D&SJ were heading out of the driveway, they had been waiting for awhile and had to go, then turned around and met with me. Talk about cutting it close.

I tried to stabilize and get things cruising, but it was crazy from the get-go, and I was all by my lonesome. It was a little crazy, and I had the two little entrepreneurs next to me. They were doing a great job, and were courteous of our space, but it did complicates things a little. Two more bodies to be aware of.

By the time R and the kids showed up, things were cooking. We got things together, she brought more dumplings, and finally things calmed down. The music was great, all blues, though a little loud, making conversation difficult. The weather cooperated, and was breezy and comfortable.

Before we knew it, we had sold out, and had time to kill. Not only did we start late, but business was good enough to sell everything before the end of the market. Kind of makes you wonder what would have happened if we had gotten there earlier armed with more dumplings. Whatever be the case, we saw many of our friends, and it was a really nice time, and the weather worked in our favor.

Chalk one up for the local market, once again.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Sergio Roberto Bichara and Niels Rameckers for the pics.

No comments: