Saturday, July 10, 2010

Reflections on Camp Teazel

Camp wound down last week and the kids ended their big survival run with a sleepover at Camp Wild Teazel and a closing ceremony the next day. Needless to say, R&I were worried about the kids being away for the night, especially N. Not just because he's so young, but he's also the youngest boy amongst a group of wild boys, though it makes it easier because CH and EC are there, and they are thoughtful and sensitive. Also, N benefits from having his big sis, who looks after them.

It was also the first time that mom and dad have gone to be without the kids overnight, and we were at a loss for what to do with ourselves. Call me crazy, but I find it hard at times to really let loose and enjoy myself when the kids are not around, even though I know they enjoy not having their annoying and overbearing dad around.

The plan for the day was to drop them off in the AM, where they'd have a day at camp, which would run into the dinner and then the sleepover. The next day would go until the afternoon, where they would have a closing ceremony. Talk about a long day.

It was complicated by the fact that the closing ceremony was to begin right at the beginning of the local market, so we weren't sure what to do. We both wanted to be there, but had other practical issues to deal with.

I wanted to help out as much as I could without being a presence, even though A&H both said parents were welcome to take part. I liked the idea of the kids being comfortable with me around, so I tried to help out in the background by bringing food for the dinner. That way, the kids have no idea that I was there.

Either way, the entire experience was great for the kids. They thoroughly enjoyed it, and I think they really grew from the experience. They went on and on about what they did and how much fun it was, and they connected with some new friends. H&A did a wonderful job.

The closing ceremony was tough to make, but we managed. I went to the market, set up our tent, and left a sign saying we'd be open at 5:00. I realized we'd be losing a lot of customers, but what are you going to do? It's more important to be there for your kid's events, because that's what life is all about, isn't it?

Now I don't know how this transpired, but A ended up being the one to give the final speech, along with EC, and to a lesser degree, N. She did a wonderful job, and spoke with confidence and dare I say, eloquence. She's a fairly articulate kid, and not shy about being up on stage. There was a point where she carried on for a bit, and I wasn't sure if this was sanctioned by the group, but either way, it was a nice time.

After the ceremony, we said our goodbyes, and then I bolted over to the market, where people were waiting for us to sell our dumplings, but that is a story for another time.

Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to Kata Szikora for the pic.

No comments: