Friday, July 2, 2010

Grateful Dumpling Needs a New Stove

It turns out that we need a new stove. Our Wally World special of a camp stove has been acting up and needs replacing. We've been running into problems with it at the market, and it has happened on more than one occasion. For whatever reason, it stops heating the oil enough to cook the dumplings quickly enough, and we start encountering deficit situations, which can be stressful in the heat of the moment. Also, it's can get expensive dealing with those small propane canisters, not just buying them, but disposing of them. Finally, it's not the eco-friendly way to go.

I'm guessing the stove is designed for light camping use, and in light of that, it has held up fairly well. We bought the thing at the zero hour, the evening before our first market. We had picked up another on with one large single burner, but decided that we wanted one with two separate burners, instead. It must have been about 8:00 PM when I went out, found the stove, and we used it the next morning. It has done the job, and I'm guessing the problem is rooted in the regulator, which can probably be replaced.

In the meantime, we need a new stove, something that works off of a 20 gallon propane tank. I found one that I sort of like on the website Cookware.com. Best of all, because of some of the work I've done with this blog (of all things) I've managed to score a $60 gift certificate which I can apply to the cost of the thing. How cool is that?

After you dig around a bit, you begin to realize that people get pretty serious about their camping cookware. I'm not sure if I'm ready to go there, but we do need a better setup, so I'm not knocking it.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Gregory Runyan for the pic.

No comments: