Monday, July 19, 2010

Moment of Panic for the Grateful Dumpling

In a good example of the pitfalls of being dependent on your suppliers, I went to the Asian market to get dumpling wrappers and they were closed. This might not seem like a big deal, but it was late in the morning. I had tried calling them the day before and they never answered their phone, so when I went the next day and they were closed during normal business hours, I naturally assumed the worst: they had gone under.

Of course, in typical fashion, I panicked. My first thought was, how the heck was I going to get wrappers? It was Monday, and the market was on Wednesday. I could go to the Coop and request a case, which might come the next day, but could very well arrive on Wednesday, which would mean making dumplings all day to bring to the big city market. Crazy.

I had no time to waste. I drove over to the Coop, asked the manager in produce to order the wrappers, and then went to run more errands. On my way back the Lebanon, I revisited Yiping market and lo and behold, they were open. I wanted to ask her what the heck was going on with her business, but there is a serious communication issue going on there.

Either way, I bought enough wrappers, then got other supplies, but remembered that I had ordered a case from the Coop. I got home and called the store first thing, canceling the order. They were very cool, as they always are, about everything, and it worked out, but it sure was an eye-opening experience.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Kenn Kiser for the pic.

No comments: