Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Getting it Done

I haven’t been writing as much as I should have, then again, what else is new, but I recall something a successful freelance writer once wrote about saying that you have to take all forms of writing seriously. Don’t look down on something because it’s doesn’t pay as much or it’s not for as big a publication. Until you become an established writer, you have to apply yourself to all writing.

Case in point, Trip Advisor. Now I know people take these travel websites seriously, just like people take Amazon.com reviews seriously. It may have particular value, however, to myself because not only am I interested in family travel writing, but we travel a fair amount, and have stayed at a lot of places and learned a lot about the ins and outs of travel. With this in mind, we have plenty to write about, not to mention share some wisdom that could make people’s lives easier.

So I’m trying a little harder to do all sorts of writing. Since we’ve been without mom, it’s a little harder to get it done because all of the house responsibilities fall on my shoulders (what else is new?) so there’s less time and energy, but also life is just a little weird and lonely without her.

In these instances, things like reviews and smaller blog-like articles are perfect, because they’re easier to write, lower stress, and keep my writing juices flowing. My point? Not sure, but I did manage to write more reviews for TripAdvisor, and there’s more to come. Now if I could only get more writing done in other areas, I could get my fabulous writing career on track.

Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to Kriss Szkurlatowski for the pic.

No comments: