Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Getting Spanked on the Ice

As I mentioned before, we played an impromptu hockey game at the rink and it was clear that I was in way over my head. I realized that it’s one thing to be a decent skater, and another thing to be handle a puck during open stick, but what really separates the boys from the men is getting out there on the ice with other players who are gunning for the same puck as you. That changes everything.

I was so impressed with how good those teenage boys were, but even more so with how nice and well mannered they were. They were more than willing to share the puck with the younger players, and could have simply been selfish and dominated the ice because they were that good, but they chose to be team players and help out the younger crew. They were so polite, as well. Then again, I’ve noticed that the players on N’s team all have good manners, as well. The parents make a point of expecting it from their kids, and it shows.

All in all, it was a learning experience, and I realize that if I ever decided to play hockey, I’ve got a long hard road ahead of me. Even N gave me some constructive criticism, telling me what areas I needed to work on, which was basically everything. Nothing like getting the cold hard truth from your kids.

It reminds me in a way of my first time playing ultimate frisbee, which also happened this year. I went into a situation that I was a bit reluctant to enter, and in the beginning got slapped around because I was clueless, slow, old, and creaky. I made so many mistakes in the beginning, I was constantly apologizing. Fortunately, the UF crowd, at least the one I was with, was very cool and very understanding. Over time, I gradually built up some confidence, and eventually just had a great time with it. I’m not sure if hockey would follow the same progression as UF, but it’s informative to have gone through it. We’ll see. It could mean scouring the Listen Center for adult hockey equipment.

Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to Frank Levert for the pic.

No comments: