Thursday, November 10, 2011

Girls Hockey Night

As I mentioned before, A expressed interest in hockey, and I was all for it. We scrounged up a bunch of equipment and headed over for what I thought was a Learn to Play session, but it was kind of different.

The first realization came when I was following her into the locker room and there were a bunch of older girls in there, some seemed as old as high school. I.e., no guys allowed. Even A suggested that I leave and meet her outside. It turns out that they had a Learn to Play concurrent with a girl’s development league. I wasn’t sure which one A was supposed to be in because she had never played before, yet she was also a lot older than the youngsters in that class. The girl’s development class seemed to be older girls, and A was definitely the youngest.

After some rumination, we finally decided that she go with the girls, and it turned out to be the right choice. You could see the girls had some experience, but they were not experts, which was good for A. They ran through skating and puck handling drills, and then did some scrimmaging. A held up just fine, she’s actually a good skater. It’s the hockey part that’s new.

After the class, we change quickly and headed over to karate. We had to cancel piano/drums because of this class, but I figured it was just a one time thing and the actually learning of hockey would occur during the week, but I was wrong. What else is new? The class is Monday nights and Sundays at 8:30. There’s no way we could make that, and it’s hard to re-schedule music lessons and we don’t want to miss karate.

It also turns out that A wasn’t that into it. She thought it was okay, but could take or leave the whole hockey part, and I completely respect that. I’m glad she gave it a try, she did well, but if it’s not for her, so be it. Besides, A has so much going on, and hockey is really N’s thing, so it works out for the best. Also, we borrowed almost all of the equipment, so the financial burden was negligible, at best.

I’m all for that. Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Tom Pickering for the pic.

No comments: