Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Hockey For Dad?

With all this excitement over N’s hockey, the idea of hockey for dad came up. What does it all mean? Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a hockey player, I just play one on TV. I love the game, and I love watching my son, but it’s come up a few times that I should start playing. I never really gave it much thought, there’s so much gear, and after my humbling with those teenagers on the ice, I felt like I had a long road ahead before I suited up for a hockey game.

However, the other day I noticed that one of the rinks was offering learn to play hockey for adults. Wow, could this be a sign? They said you could slide a little on all the equipment, and could skip the pants and shoulder pads. One of the fathers on N’s team lent me some shin and elbow pads, so I have most of the stuff. I’d just need a jersey, which would cost around $15. Then I’m all set. Should I do it? That’s the big question.

The time of the clinic might work, as well, since it’s early on a weekday, so if R could go into work a little late, it would all be possible. This could be the start of something big. Bear in mind, I would most likely be the most inexperienced person out there, not to mention maybe one of the oldest, so there’s a long road ahead, but you gotta start somewhere, right? It reminds me of ultimate frisbee, I went into a situation where not only was I humbled, but I felt like I was a true liability. I stuck with it, however, and over time I found my niche and fell in love with the game. Could this be the fate that awaits me in hockey? I can’t say for sure, but I sure hope so.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Kriss Szkurlatowski for the pic.

No comments: