Monday, November 7, 2011

Impromptu Dinner and a Movie

I seem to get cornered all the time by the kids for various requests, and my initial reaction is always, “Do I really want to deal with this?” I’m glad, in a way, that the kids are impulsive in certain ways because it makes us, the parents, more spontaneous, and reminds us that it’s never such a big deal to make such a fuss over. Plus, we always have good time, and would miss out on the experience if we answered to our first anti-social impulse.

The other day at the library, and it always happens at this time, our’s and HH’s kids cornered me and wanted to have a sleepover. I said “No way,” we had a big hockey game the next day, but then they wanted to have dinner and a movie at our house. They had apparently lost power with the big wind storm. I relented, but hadn’t planned on this, so I had to go home and prepare. I asked HH to watch the kids and bring them over later while I went ahead and got the meal ready. Our original plan was to go the indoor market and get pizza, but I knew that wasn’t going to be enough for 7 people, so I was going to have to make some more food.

I slapped together a pasta dish while chatting with HH. The kids played and watched their movie, and when R got home, we sat down to a nice meal. We really enjoy HH’s company, and consider her a good friend. Plus, her kids are awesome, and good friends with ours. Say no more. It’s not that we don’t enjoy our friend’s company, it’s just that by Friday afternoon, we are whipped, and the last thing I want to do is use my brain. Oh well, no getting around that.

We had a nice evening, all on the spur of the moment, though I should be more aware that this spontaneity is a fairly common on a Friday afternoon. It helps to be prepared.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Jason M for the pic.

No comments: