Sunday, November 27, 2011

The Good Life in Florida

Being from California, I’ve always been a little cynical if not a bit disdainful of Florida, with the whole east coast retiree ethic and the small waves that seem characteristic of the beaches. The idea of surfing in Florida never really inspired me, despite the whole Kelly Slater thing. Plus, the heat in FLA is excruciating, and during the summer months, even though I’ve never been here in the summer, it seems like you just can’t get away from the heat and humidity. I’ve been in the south several times during hot months, and I find it unbearable.

Anyway, I’ve changed my tune, and like it down here. First off, getting to Florida is a whole lot easier than getting to California, not to mention more affordable. Secondly, we came in the off season, to say the least, and the weather has been beautiful. The hottest it’s been is 75 degrees, and the water is warm, though by local standards it’s cold. Granted, the water is not warm, but it’s a bath compared to swimming in the some of the lakes and rivers in Vermont, and it’s definitely warmer than the Pacific Ocean. Bearing in mind, of course, that it’s practically December.

Finally, we did some surfing, and it sure felt good. The waves here are definitely smaller than what you’ll find on some California beaches, but let’s face it, the surf can be small and terrible in Cali, and at this stage in my life, I want small waves. Until I get back into some semblance of shape, I can’t even imagine getting into the lineup in big surf. Just the thought of getting caught inside makes me cringe. AND, the small surf is perfect for A&N to learn, but more on that in a moment.

All in all, I’ve become a fan of Florida. It’s just easier to get here, we have our family here to spend time with, they all like it, RR likes the warmer water to swim in, the beaches are huge, spacious, and the waves mellow. It’s perfect for the kids. Plus, I get a sense real estate is pretty reasonable at this time.

There is a certain odd quality to Florida with all the sprawling, mega condos that line the beach and the prevalence of seniors. Plus, you have to remember this is the south, and there is a strong conservative ethic all around, but nonetheless, it’s a beach town, and we’re having fun. Enough said.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to RIC for the pics.

No comments: