Friday, February 10, 2012

Coaching and Life

Now I don’t know how this evolved, but I’ve been helping out with the hockey coaching, and it’s all very odd in light of the fact that I’m not a hockey player, I just play one on TV. On the one hand, I like helping out, especially when they are short on people. On the other hand, they usually have enough people, and only on one or two occasions were they really short handed.

However, on several occasions I’ve been asked to lace up my skates and get out there, and as surprising as it may seem, it has become a regular thing. I’m not sure where this is coming from, and again, I’m happy to help, but there are times when I’m out there and feel like a boy amongst men, or I’ll just stand around twiddling my thumbs. I’ve alluded to this fact, but was told by the coaches that it’s still helpful to have bodies out there, and I’m learning the drills by watching and taking part. Fair enough. Besides, I’ve gotten the seal of approval from several coaches, so I haven’t been made to feel unwelcome. I don’t want to be the intrusive dad who feels like his presence is always an asset, even when he’s being a pain in the you know what.

It is interesting going out there and skating with the pros, not to mention a big group of talented kids. In fact, it’s the exact sort of environment that would intimidate and scare me enough to run in the other direction, and yet, I’m jumping in with both feet. Now I have the usual insecurities about going into a new situation and making a fool out of myself, and from what I can gather talking to other folks is that I’m not alone. Nobody wants to get in over their head while on display to large groups of people, even in a supportive environment. I think what makes it tough is that hockey is an ultra-macho sport, and the guys who run the show are not only talented, but don’t tolerate sissies. I think a group of women would be more supportive and nurturing, while in a group of hockey tough guys, you couldn’t buy an ounce of sympathy. Being the only neophyte in the group only exacerbates the situation. No hand holding or excuses will be tolerated. Just deal with it.

This makes it both easier and harder. If something happens or you make a mistake, just move on and don’t obsess over it. Nobody really cares. For someone who embraces his OCD with religious fervor, however, every little slip-up is made larger than life. In case you haven’t noticed, there are some great life lessons to be had in being a coach, at least for me. On the one hand, I’m a marginally competent skater, so I can go out there and keep up with the players. It’s the skills part that creates problems, and one in particular but I won’t bore you with the details. Suffice it to say that the fun never stops, depening upon how you define “fun.”

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to craigk182 for the pic.

No comments: