Sunday, February 12, 2012

Learn-to-Play Paying Off

Don’t ask me how this came to be, but I’ve been helping out with the coaching of the mites hockey team. It’s crazy when you think about it, but I’m happy to be able to lend a hand, if not a bit flattered that my limited skills could be of value. They say that flattery will get you nowhere, when in fact, when flattery is strategically employed, it will get you everything you want, especially when you’re dealing with the fragile male ego.

For the record, the head coach, DF, is not the sort of person who would encourage or give positive feedback unless it was absolutely deserved. He’s a pretty serious guy when it comes to hockey, and not the sort that sugar-coats things, which makes him a great coach and leader. From a parents POV, he intimidates me (my own neurosis) and maybe even scares me a bit, but not in a bad way. Some people are just so good at what they do and do it in such earnest and with such seriousness that you have to take a step back and look at them in wonder. In fact, and I know how corny this sounds, but he makes me want to do the best that I can be, and go out there and try my hardest. So when he asks me to help out coaching, not only am I honored, but I’m going to try to do my best out there. How’s that for being neurotic?

Either way, the other day while I was helping out, my own learn to play (LTP) coach stopped by and we chatted for a bit. I told him all my LTP was paying off, and he laughed and said the drills are all the same. Good thing for me.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Mike Boon for the pic.

No comments: