Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Favorite Book

There is an upcoming photo exhibit coming up at the library that asked patrons to choose their favorite book and have their picture taken with it. Somehow they got my name and asked me. I was happy to take part, but then had to choose my favorite book, which when you really get down to it, is not the easiest thing to do. There are times I can’t even remember the last book I read.

Either way, I had to come to a decision, and like everything in my life, I had to make a big ordeal out of it. Eventually, I narrowed it down to three or four books, most of which I have hard cover copies of. It really boiled down to Catcher in the Rye or Moby Dick, though the latter might be construed as venturing into the pretentious, pseudo-erudite intelligentsia, for which I am not a big fan, but what a great book. Runners up included Unbearable Lightness of Being, Confederacy of Dunces, and Little Big Man.

I went with Catcher in the Rye, which I started to read again and really enjoy, relating to Holden Caulfield, for better or worse. I went to the library and took the pic, and was surprised to learn that the photography had never read it, nor did he even know who wrote it, which struck me as strange because Salinger is such an icon. It could be a generational thing, the guy was older than me, so it probably wasn’t on his radar.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Rakka for the pic.

No comments: