Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Board Search

I have been looking for a new snowboard for A and have come to the realization that it will not happen this season. It would have been cool to have had the board to try at least once this year, but alas, it was not meant to be. Besides, we've lost a lot of steam for winter sports, though I get a sense that N is always ready to hit the slopes. What complicates this whole affair is my need to be frugal, which is rooted in both practical and personal issues. Lord knows I have more than my fair share of issues.

I could easily drop a few hundred dollars and just get her the board of her dreams, but I am somewhat philosophically against such actions. I really don't think a board is worth that much money, especially at this stage of the game. Conversely, looking for a cheap used board is frustrating and severely limiting in terms of selection. Besides, used boards are not that cheap, anyway. I see people selling used boards for $400-500, which I think is crazy, but most people don't think like me.

I don't, however, want to make the same mistake that I made this year, which was to wait too long, thus forcing me take action and limit the selection. Bad planning on my part. Since we have until next season I have time, but again, this happened to me before and I got complacent. I will continue to scour the yard sales and Listen, but there's a fair amount of junk there. As it is with hockey equipment, at some point you've established that the kids are interested in the sport and buying cheap, used stuff is not the best route. Plus, there's the ever important cool factor.

So I'll keep my eyes open. Since skiing is winding down, there are already some good options that are popping up. The question is, do I go for it, or wait to see if something better shows up? I think we all know the answer to that one.


Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Master Slave for the pic.

No comments: