Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Life of a Volunteer

I signed N up to do some apprentice ski instructing over at the ski hill, though I kind of set it up first and then told him what I had gotten him into. Sometimes you just have to do things this way with kids, otherwise they just decline all options that come their way. The instructor apprenticeship is part of the "bigger" big city ski program that introduces big city kids to the sport. They also have a racing program, Nordic program, and freestyle program. I thought N might like the freestyle stuff but he said no thank you. Maybe I should have just enrolled him in that, anyway.

Either way, the program is not expensive, but it doesn't cost nothing, either. This got me to thinking that it's kind of odd that they make you pay to have your kid volunteer. On top of that, if it's your child's first year with the program (it is), one parent is required to volunteer - guess who gets to do that. I guess for N it's not all volunteering because they are training him in the ways of being an instructor. I think he'll oversee little kids, which doesn't seem to intimidate him, unlike his cowardly dad. He'll also be working with a bunch of kids from the school, so hopefully he'll be surrounded by and endless number of hot ski babes. That of course is not the reason we're doing this, but it doesn't hurt, does it?

-->
We'll see how this one goes. Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to Thomas Doggett-Williams for the pic.

No comments: