Friday, April 2, 2010

New Beef and Making Dumplings

We found a new source of beef. I hate to bail out on our old source because not only is he a great guy, but he's just down the road, but his meat was just okay, and not only was it lacking a bit in flavor, but the roasts were tough and the ground beef filled with chewy, hard bits. Not what you're looking for in a hamburger.

A friend had purchased a share in a cow and got loads of beef from a local farm in Pomfret called Cloudland Farms. He raved about the meat and said they'd been doing it for years. We made hamburgers one night and they were so good, so I decided we had to get some. I've heard somewhere in our town there is a farm that makes good beef, but I've got to find out who it is.

I also bought a ribeye steak, my favorite cut, though I'm not sure when we're going to cook it. We're not a big steak eating family, but maybe for special occasions.

Either way, we made dumpling with the new meat, and they were good. The true test, however, will be when we make burgers on the grill. Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to Rob Owen-Wahl and lekyu for the pic.

No comments: