Wednesday, July 11, 2012

More Hockey

R is starting to question my sanity (for good reason) as I sink deeper and deeper in the hockey abyss, or from my perspective, hockey nirvana. There was a mixed skill level hockey tournament last weekend, combining players from the A, B, & C levels. I’m a C, so I’m at the bottom of the food chain, and that really comes to light when you play with the A and B guys. They are not only amazing, but huge.

The tournament was a 4 team competition where everyone played each other and then everyone played again for the championship. It was a lot of fun, though three days of non-stop hockey, so much that I had trouble writing this blog, in combination with other factors, of course. I was on the Green team, and there were several people I knew, including GG and IC, both of whom are hockey warriors and literally carried the team. G’s son, JG, played, and he’s young and skilled, and we had an assortment of Bs and Cs, including myself. We had several skilled women players, as well. All in all, I think we were not as deep in really good talent as the other teams, especially DF’s team, the Bears. Those guys were so stacked, it really wasn’t fair. When you played against them, it was like playing in the NHL, they were so good, and again, they were so big.

We lost our first game to Yello, won our second game to Blue, then lost our last game to Red. With the exception of Yellow, who were undefeated and crushed all of their opponents, every other team had only one win. Through a complex process of scoring, we ended up in the championship game against the Yellow for the rematch. To make a long story short, we beat them. I couldn’t believe it, because again, they were so good, and they clearly came out to win. We got lucky, or they got complacent. The rules stated that the best players were only allowed to score one goal, but they had so many outstanding middle level players that they could still score at will. We had a great goalie, and we played our hearts out. I had about 12 scoring chances and blew all of them when IC set me up perfectly, but I’m still learning, so they cut me some slack.

It was a lot of fun, but man did it take up a lot of time. Even I was feeling the need to take a break, if not only for a day. Time to let these aching bones heal.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to saganaga for the pic.

No comments: