Sunday, July 1, 2012

Not Quite Ready to be a Vegan

I have to come clean and admit that I’m not ready to be a vegan. It’s way too hardcore, and I don’t think it’s fair to subject the kids to a diet devoid of fun and excitement, especially when we grew up with all this stuff, for better or worse. We’ve made huge strides in healthy eating, and have removed dairy (except for the occasional ice cream-kids have to have ice cream), a lot of meat (we’ll continue with fish and some pork), a lot of sugar (but not all), and other assorted bad things.

Let’s face it, even Jack Lalanne ate fish and egg whites, so he wasn’t a complete vegan. His key was activity, and I’m all for that. Plus, I never set out to be a vegan, I just wanted to eat healthier for a number of reasons which I won’t go into.

All in all, I think we have to have balance and reach a happy medium. Besides, a lot of the information is intriguing, and some of it is backed with science, but they don’t really have the answers, and there are no guarantees. There is no perfect diet. Every person is different, and you just have to make informed decisions and do the best you can. It was getting a little too hardcore for my taste, no pun intended. For every Jack Lalanne out there that eats like a rabbit, there is a Julia Child who live to be the same age. Sometimes I wonder if our obsession with eating healthy is what is actually killing us. Maybe we need to lighten up and enjoy ourselves for a change.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to ediblevegdible for the pic.

No comments: