Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Mouse Warrior

Just call me Thor, the great mouse warrior.

It may seem counter-intuitive to put mouse traps in a barn, but we have a colony that has set up shop in the apex of the roof of the barn we’re trying to finish. I’ve seen them up there, and there are piles of dropping on the floor. They’re too high up for the cats to get them, which is saying a lot because our cats are trained killers and can get pretty much anywhere to score a hearty mouse meal.

I decided to set up our trap and see what would happen, though it’s probably a losing battle because there are critters everywhere and the barn is not sealed completely from animals. I figured it was worth a try, and lo and behold, I’ve nabbed four mice in as many days. They just keep coming. I realize that since I’m releasing the mice into the wild, it could be the same mouse every time, but I somehow think that’s unlikely.

First off, I’m releasing them down the road at the farm, which is about a quarter mile away. The women in our family insisted that I find a nice, cozy place to release them, preferably with a wood pile where they might like to build a nest. How’s that for compromising my warrior sensibilities? If the mice wanted to make it back, they’d have to cross the road, then get past the Dusty/Misty (our cats) gauntlet, then fall into the trap four times. What are the chances?

Either way, we’re catching mice, the question is, will it make a difference? I think it will, but that’s the optimist in me.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: