Thursday, May 16, 2013

Barn Movement

Despite the fact that SH has completely dropped off the face of the earth, we are inching along on that barn. The ceiling is getting to the point (thanks to SH) where maybe in a month we can bring in the big guns and finish the insulation, and once the downstairs is done, we can think about dry-walling it. SH talked about starting on the exterior siding, but again, he’s been AWOL, so I’m not sure what the status of that is. I can’t worry too much about it because there is enough for me to do so that I don’t have the luxury of sitting around feeling sorry for myself.

I’m about done insulating the exterior space between the joists on the gable side, and once I get the other gable done, we can finish putting in the soffit. The insulating is a little tedious because it involves inserting three 2” foam pieces (for a total of 6”) and then foaming around the edges. It’s the foaming part that makes it hard, because not only is that stuff a nasty mess, but it’s in a tight space, and it’s hard to get the foam up in there. It doesn’t help that you have to hold the darn spray can upside down.

I also have to seal the edges of the interior insulation on the ceiling, which is a boatload of sealing, but at least it’s easier than working between the joists. Once that is done, I can contact the insulation guys and they can put in the cellulose, which is a huge step. From there, we finish the walls, and then it’s drywall time in the not too distant future. Then again, don’t count your chickens before they hatch.

Meanwhile, we have to think about siding and getting the heating system in, which could take years, but hopefully not. Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Mdrn~Mrvls for the pic.

No comments: