Monday, May 13, 2013

Better Late Than Never... I Think

I’m not sure what to make of this, but in the spirit of trying to look at the bright side, I’ll give my brother credit. The other day a big box came for N and it was a late birthday present for N. We’re talking really late. N’s birthday is in October, and this is April. Never mind that he also forgot A’s birthday, which is in March.

My brother has neglected our kid’s birthdays almost every year, though just recently he’s started to send presents. I don’t think he’s ever sent R or I anything for our birthdays, and for the record, I always send him a card on his even though he’s completely unworthy of the effort. I usually send it late, but I send it nonetheless.

What is interesting with my brother is that he embraces the idea that you can make up for being absent of thoughtless by sending bigger and better things, as if money makes up for being absent and insensitive. I’m not sure if his interaction with his daughter is like this at all, but it’s good to keep in mind that money and material possessions can’t replace the time you give to your family, and can’t replace your presence.

Then again, maybe I should look at the bright side and appreciate the fact that he did anything at all. After all, my mom didn’t do a thing.

Sorry to be cynical, I just can’t help it when it comes to my family. Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Express Monorail for the pic.

No comments: