Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Obtaining Plants

We saw JM and BM the other day at the garden, and they were offering all sorts of vegetable plants for the taking. JM had obtained them from a program he was working with, and wanted to pass them along to the community. Naturally, we were there and scored several plants. In fact, we have so many plants, we don’t know what to do with them.

I was looking for tomatoes since I didn’t start seeds on time, my bad. I wanted to grow a specific tomato that I loved from last year called an Opalka. I saw the seed in Fedco, and could have ordered them, but like the dork that I am, I didn’t want to pay $5 shipping for a $2 order. Now if I’d planned properly, I could have added my order to the big Coop order and gotten free shipping. Or, I could have organized a bigger order with other people and gotten my small order... yada, yada, yada.

Could’ve, should’ve, would’ve, but didn’t, as my kids like to say. Anyway, I knew there would be opportunities to purchase/obtain plants as Memorial Day approached, so I wasn’t too concerned. When JM sent out an email saying he had plants to give away, I jumped at the chance, and he had tons of plants. I’m talking hundreds, all for the taking. Interestingly enough, nobody else showed up to get them, so we had our pick of the litter.

I ended up getting dozens of tomato plants, but foolishly forgot to label some of them, so there is a bit of uncertainty as to what types I got. Normally this wouldn’t be a problem, I would take whatever, except that I really wanted to avoid cherry tomatoes. I am not a fan.

Oh well, we’ll see what happens. In terms of the ones I wanted, Amish Paste and Roma, I think I’m in good shape. It’s the others I’m not too clear about, but in the end, is it such a big deal? Sort of, but no sense in whining. It’s looking like our garden will once again be heavy on tomatoes, with some squash and peas, maybe a pepper or two. That’s good enough for me.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: