Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Plumbing Matters

Well this is sort of embarrassing. We had a plumbing issue and I contacted JH and his magic bag of tools, and it turned out to be something really simple. So much so, that had I looked into it further, I could have easily solved the problem and not wasted everyone’s time. Live and learn, or not.

We have outdoor faucets that you have to be careful with in the winter. They have recessed valves that are supposed to be protected from the cold because they are inside the house, but as a precaution, you’re supposed to shut off the water source and then drain the exterior faucet. In years past, I didn’t know this, and left it on. What happens is on really cold days, the water freezes, makes it way into the interior of the pipes, and if it reaches the faucet valve, can compromise the seal and cause a leak. This happened to both of our exterior faucets.

Last summer, JH came over and helped me replace both of them. He has a propane torch and could solder them, what a guy. He told me how to prepare the pipes for winter, which I diligently did, but it involves opening a drain plug and letting the excess water drain out. Then you’re good to go for the winter. Well, this spring, I turned the water back on, and it started spraying all over the place, leaving big puddles on the basement floor. Not good.

I looked at the pipes, and as far as I could tell, it looked like a crack in the pipes because the water was spraying out in a thin stream. I figured a soldered joint had cracked, so I shut off the valve and called JH. He came over and after carefully looking at the pipe, deduced that it was coming from the drain plug. He took it off, noticed it was missing its gasket, and then found the gasket (which is about the size of a lentil) on the floor. He put it back in, tightened the plug, and voila, we were back in business.

I felt a little (a lot?) stupid, I could have taken more time to figure out what was wrong, but instead jumped the gun and panicked. On a bright note, the fix was easy, and I got to re-connect with JH and his magic bag of tools. I also thought he could come over again and help out with the barn, since JH has completely bailed out on us. This could work out, after all, but we’ll see.

Until then, thanks for reading.

No comments: