Saturday, August 24, 2013

Happy Birthday to Us and Making Contact

What a way to celebrate our birthdays, selling falafels. Another birthday came and went and it was sort of nice doing the market because it takes your mind off having another birthday, which I am not so keen on making a big deal out of. For the record, I did not hear from my mom or brother, but there’s more to that story than meets the eye.

We had a pretty quiet day, we were at the market, and the cupcake folks next to us gave us extra cupcakes for our big day. We stopped at our favorite place, Boloco, who gives us free burritos on our birthday. I love that place. We came home, had our cupcakes, and the kids put together a little birthday celebration for us. They made cards, presents, and we opened gifts from J&RR. It was cute, the kids have a way of being cute and endearing, it breaks my heart sometimes.

It was a fitting end to a long and tiring day doing falafels. The market was a little slow, but not too bad, and we survived to sell falafels another day. On the subject of my mom, I was going to call her on my birthday and remind her, but figured that would just piss her off. I did, however, call her a couple of days later because several months ago she requested that we come and visit her. She said she wanted me to clean out her my stuff, and she wanted A&N to meet their cousin, TL, my brother’s daughter. I told her we’d come out, but never specified when, and then summer came and went.

I figured she’d be livid with me, and the conversation would be painful, but it wasn’t like that at all. She was very congenial, and our conversation was nice. She never wished me a happy birthday, but she did something that for the life of me I don’t recall her every doing - she asked me if I was happy. When I said yes, she said that’s the most important thing. Wow, what a shocker.

We talked at length, and she again requested that we come and visit her, and I think we should. It will be a little awkward, but sometimes you have to be a man and deal with these things. It will involve seeing my brother, which I’m not looking forward to, but that’s a whole other story.

In the end, I’m glad I made the call, and hope that things will work out this time around.

Until then, thanks for reading.

No comments: