Saturday, August 24, 2013

Inching Along

People who have any knowledge about our barn are not going to believe this, but we are actually in the process of putting up siding. I can’t believe it myself. After all the drama of choosing siding and obtaining the stuff, I finally managed to get some of the stuff up. It’s pretty straightforward, except that I have to stain it before putting it on, which delays the whole process. Cutting the boards to fit properly around windows and doors adds to the time, and working around the return on the soffit almost killed me, but progress is being made. I know some people in this house are happy about it, and people who stop by all comment on the fact that something is actually happening. Sometimes you have take what you can get.

Anyway, like I said, it is a bit of pain, because I have to measure out the boards, cut them and slide them in place, remove and paint them, then wait for them to dry. I’m guessing a professional contractor, or my Mentor or the Amazing PR Man, would simply measure the distance, calculate how many boards it would take, cut and paint them, and then nail them in. Somehow that sort of approach never works for me. I have to put them in place first, make sure they fit properly, and then paint and nail them in.

Whatever be the case, it’s moving along, albeit at a snail’s pace. Part of the problem is I can only dedicate 1-2 hour increments of time, because I am constantly being called away to cook meals, pick up the kids, cook falafels, or take N golfing or to the skate park. I would love 4-5 hours of uninterrupted time to work on it, but around here, that sort of time is a luxury item.

The reality is the situation is not ideal, but when is that ever the case? You have to make lemons, right? I’m glad things are at least progressing, and if anything, I’m getting better at it with time, like fine wine, right? Yeah, right.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

To be a parent is a ift for me. Thus, I want to spend with kids as much time as possible. Even di homework with them, although, for this purpose I sometimes need homework help online services.