Tuesday, August 6, 2013

What Have I Started?

Several months back I went searching for employment after R and I had a spirited discussion about income, or lack thereof. I figured it wouldn’t hurt to at least test the waters and see what sort of jobs were available. I investigated what I thought would be the highest demand for immediate employment, figuring it takes about six months for these things to play out, but was I ever wrong.

I contacted two local hotels about jobs just cleaning rooms, and both of them called me in for interviews, which surprised the heck out of me. I went to WRJ to speak to one, and it was clear that I was not what they were looking for. They seemed to allude to me being over-qualified and were looking for someone younger who would be willing to commit to the long term. Fair enough.

The other job was in the neighboring town, and it’s a big hotel resort. They were looking for all sorts of positions, and they asked me what my preference was. Wow, I wasn’t sure what to make of all that power. I initially thought I’d be applying for a job in the health club, working at the pool, probably handing out towels and mopping floors. While I think I can work with customers, I sort of preferred something in the background, doing things behind the scenes. They said they had positions in receiving and on the grounds crew, which I figured would work out.

Around this time, I had to withdraw my name because N hurt himself badly on the ice. I really thought he broke his leg, and I told the hotel I had couldn’t move forward at this time. They were cool about it, and I figured that was the end of it, but they called me and said I could start later in the summer, and set up an interview. The pay wasn’t that great, but it was a job, and sometimes you can’t take a job for granted.

The interview went fine, but in the end, it wasn’t going to work out with our lives, and I thanked them, figuring that they were pissed off at me for wasting their time, effectively closing that door.

Well, if you can believe this, they called me again the other day, three months after the fact, asking if I was still interested in the job. I was flattered that I was still even being considered for a job, but again, I couldn’t really manage full time work with our current situation. I called and left a message thanking them but letting them know as much.

There are some serious perks to the job, even if the pay isn’t outstanding. One of them is access to the local ski hill, not to mention the health club, but once hockey season starts, it’s not as if I’ll have time for either. I’m just happy to know that I didn’t screw things up completely on my interviews, for all that’s worth.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to itia4u for the pic.

No comments: