Friday, September 13, 2013

Scoring Firewood

I was sitting around waiting for TB to call and tell me when I can get our firewood when out of the blue, he called me and said he was having someone else deliver the wood, and soon. A friend of his, JW. I was a little surprised by the timing, not to mention the change in supplier, but when it comes to working with loggers, you can’t be a sissy and worry about these things.

TB said the wood come in the next day or so, and that I should deal with JW directly. I forgot to ask TB if this meant he was no longer doing wood, but I can always inquire at a later date. In the meantime, I got in touch with JW, and we arranged for a delivery. He came a few days later and I learned he’s pretty local, just as much as TB, and can get me wood in the future. Bonus time, another source of firewood. I love when that happens.

Also, the wood JW brought me was killer, not a lot of birch, a fair amount of hornbeam (iron wood), and just the right sizes. I ask for tops so the wood is not thick, which is a bear (if not impossible) to cut and split. I only have a 16 inch bar on my chainsaw, so cutting a log that’s over 3 feet in diameter (you can do the trigonometry) is a chore. I actually called JW and thanked him.

On a side note, while I was waiting to hear from TB, I also contacted my friend, DS, who was also A’s track coach. He’s the logger who helped me move those massive oak and pine logs to the mill. He’s very hard to get ahold of, but I left a message with him asking if he could get firewood. I didn’t hear back from him and figured he was busy. He did call about a week later, however, and said to give him a call, but before I could, he came over to see if I still needed wood. He saw the wood pile and that answered his question, but it’s nice to know that I have yet another source of firewood in a pinch.

Now all we need is to get our stove fixed, and we’ll be ready for winter... I hope.

Until then, thanks for reading.

No comments: