Sunday, February 8, 2015

Euro Breakfast

The search for the ideal breakfast continues, and in the spirit of reducing our sugar intake, I have once again taken matters into my own hands. I usually eat two breakfasts by the time I ever get out the door, and the reason for this is because I am an early riser. I am up around 5:00AM, so if I get out by 9:00AM, that 4 hours where I need to fuel up, and since I love to eat so much, I'm happy to indulge that need. To decrease my risk of adding to my spare tire, I eat small meals. Usually I'll eat half a bagel after my coffee, then a few hours later I'll eat a small bowl of cereal.

This is where the problems arise... actually, R would say the problem begins with eating that bagel, which is pure simple carbs. Bad stuff, but I love bagels, and training to be a real man is a great way to burn off those carbs. Either way, the cereal is packed with refined sugar. If you eat processed cereal, there is just no way of getting around either tons of added sugar, nasty preservatives, or high cost. I tried eating Grape Nuts and could barely choke down one bowl.

I decided to look to our good friends across the Atlantic for some inspiration, and came up with idea of making muesli, which I happen to like. If you go online you can find a countless number of recipes, so came up with a hybrid. Basically I take 5 minute multi-grain oats, add almonds, coconut, raisins, and dates, bake lightly with maple syrup, and voila, suddenly I'm transported to a villa in Tuscany, eating muesli with my goat cheese, olive oil, and tomatoes. You can't beat it.

Personally I think it tastes just like granola, without the added fat. Sure, there's maple syrup, but you can't live in New England without imbibing in a little maple syrup now and then. Plus, the kids like it, and for the most part, the stuff is pretty healthy, so we are golden. I love when that happens.


Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to the 10 cent designer for the pic.

No comments: