Friday, February 20, 2015

Party Weekend

A couple of weekends back we had, like pretty much all of our weekends, a wild and crazy time. This weekend in particular, however, was extra fun because it was the night of the Tiki Torch Trek, which is a great event that everyone loves. With all the snow that we've received, the conditions were perfect, and we were all looking forward to it.

As usual I assumed more responsibility than I should have by not only agreeing to bake cookies and cornbread for the event, while also making a quinoa salad for N's team party, which was taking place after his game. Talk about crazy. This is how the day unfolded. I woke up early Saturday morning and baked the cookie bars and cornbread (hurt myself by waiting until the zero hour), while also making the salad. I wanted to drop the baked goods off at the event site that AM but it was too early and nobody was there, so I had to come up with an alternate plan, so instead N and I headed off to the game while R&A slept in and prepared to go to their comic workshop.

N's game was fine, they won, and I arranged for N to go to the party with GG while TM took the quinoa salad. I then headed off into the big city to do poster boy work. I finished in a timely manner and headed over to the party, which was beginning to wind down. The kids were off having a good time while the parents sat around and talked about the sort of things parents talk about, mostly hockey as you might expect. It's a beautiful house, and so nice of them to host.

At some point it was time to head out, so I rounded up N and we went back home, but not before I engorged myself on all the leftovers. I really chowed down, which worked out beautifully because they ran out of food at the Tiki Torch. We had some time so N and I dropped the baked goods at the Tiki Torch site and then took advantage of some much needed down time. About an hour later, R and A returned home and we set about getting ready for the Trek. The kids' buddies stopped by and A&N took off to hang out with them, which is really cool because they can just take off and have fun, allowing tired old mom and dad to take their time.

The crowds at the Tiki Torch were enormous, and it was a big success. Good for them, I'm glad it worked out, even though I missed out on the food. As I mentioned, the conditions couldn't have been better, though the kids ditched their skis to frolic in the snow with their friends. A got to reconnect with AH, her long lost buddy, and that was nice, while N hung out with the babes. There were 4-5 lovely young ladies that he hung out with, and they had a blast. By the end of the night he looked like Frosty the Snowman because he was literally covered in ice and snow.

By about 9:00, it was time to go home. I will say this, I was not only exhausted, but at some point I was bored out of my mind. I didn't know anybody, they were all new faces, and with the kids off and running with friends and R doing a lengthy night ski, I was all by my lonesome. It reminded me of being at a party in college, except back then I would keep drinking to ease the boredom. Sure, I saw some friends, but they were with family and did their thing. I sat by the fire and waited for R to show up, which she did, and then it was fine. Maybe I was just tired after a long day, which always affects my disposition. It was, after all a great night with stellar conditions.

As the event wound down, we all walked along the trials to our house, which was really nice. You really have to love living here, it's such a cool and magical place. We got home, the kids jumped straight into bed because, you guessed it, they had hockey games the next day. Everyone had fun, even if I was a little bored at times, and we slept like rocks. That is, of course, until the next day, when we were off and running again.


Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Shannon Cayze for the pic.

No comments: