Monday, February 6, 2017

Showing Interest...

... sort of. I have been encouraging (forcing?) N to play a little guitar, and he was resistant at first so I had to play hardball and resort to forcing him to regularly take some time to get a feel for it. He's not enthused about doing it, and I can tell he's miffed at me for forcing the issue, but the truth of the matter is, he's pretty good. He's not some shredding guitarist who is going to be a rock star, but just sitting with him and playing along with him I can see that he's got a feel for playing. He knows the chords and plays pretty smoothly. Dare I say a little naturally? I'm taking it really slowly, just 15 minutes a pop, and I'm employing his sister who is pretty darn competent at guitar to help out.

It's gotten to the point where he takes it marginally seriously, and while he'd rather be doing 10 or 15 other things, it's reasonably painless, though don't ask him his opinion on this matter. Whatever be the case, I'd like for him to have some musical experience in his youth. Whether or not he keeps it up will be up to him, but I do think that if he never has any experience with it at a young age, it will make it that much more unlikely he'll ever show interest later in life. Plus, playing an instrument is good for development when they're young. At least that's what the experts tell me, whoever they may be. He may never really appreciate this, but that's not what being a parent is all about, is it?

-->
Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to comradehomer for the pic.

No comments: