Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A Day in the Writing Life

I've been trying out this whole freelance gig for the past six months and feel like I'm getting nowhere, and fast. I'm not giving up, I still think there are opps out there, it's just a drag when you hear nothing back. I'm not sure what it takes to get a response, but whatever it is, I'm not doing it. There are still avenues I haven't pursued and will pursue, but for now, I'm taking it all with a grain of salt. Even with simple things are hard to get your foot in the door.

It really clarifies the fact that writing has be a labor of love. You have to get something out of the process rather than focusing on the end result, not unlike life. If you obsess over the wrong things, then you lose sight of the big picture and the road has fewer rewards. While I'm completely aware of this and try to embrace it in everything I do, including parenting, it's not always easy, and there are times when I ask myself, why bother?

Then again, all it takes is a look around me and it's clear.

Which brings me back to writing. Maybe I need to focus more on the things I really want out of it, rather than putting so much energy into the superfluous items. It's something to think about. On the other hand, I also need to be more proactive, because even when you're working your ass off, gigs are hard to come by, so sitting back and waiting for them to fall in your lap will only ensure one thing-that I'll continue to sit back and wait for them to fall in my lap. And what fun is that?

Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

BookChook said...

It's like a gigantic balancing act, to me, and my life often has the wobbles! But I think you're right about the reward having to come from inside us. I think if we can just be the very best writer we can, and focus on that, any other reward is icing on the cake.