Friday, February 27, 2009

Vegan Eating and the K&A Scale of Legitimacy

The vegan eating is going well thus far, and we've developed a new scale to determine our level of vegan diligence-the K&A scale, named after our good friends K&A, who are such hardcore vegetarians (no egg or dairy) that they make me feel ashamed whenever I even think of eating a hot dog. I don't know how they do it, but kudos to them for their level of dedication, they'll probably live to be 100.

Last night's dinner, on the K&A scale of legitimacy, with 10 being best, was about an 8, maybe a 7. We had falafels, stuffed squash, and spinach, and would probably have scored higher on the K&A scale if I hadn't put an egg in the falafel. I've just found that without it, the falafels just fall apart when fried. The squash is actually a modification of the Julia Child recipe for stuffed pumpkin. Since pumpkins are hard to come by, you can simply modify it to an acorn or buttercup squash. Great way to get your orange veggies, and the kids generally love it. Best of all, it's so easy.

Tonight we'll probably do Friday pizza night, which scores about a 6 on the K&A scale, or more like a 4 since we like pepperonis. And then there's the cheese, but as I've mentioned, we're not as worthy as our friends.

One final note-if we go skiing, we'll get home in the late afternoon, and then we'll have to scramble to make dinner. Also, pizza is something the kids love to have a hand in making, so it promises to be a time that is ripe for me to lose it at some point and get stressed, which also makes it a great opportunity to test my new anger management approach. Bring it on is what I say. Then again, I don't want to get too cocky. That's when I crash and burn.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: