Friday, February 20, 2009

Out Of It, Timing in LIfe, Skiing Like Crazy, and Contradance

I haven't been blogging as diligently because I've been dealing with assorted issues, and sometimes the blog just has to be put aside. From there, it's a slippery slope and days can pass before I get back in the swing of things. Funny how that works. I'm also working on modifying my blog a bit, but that's a long term gig.

We have been skiing for about six days straight, and I can't even begin to tell you how far along the kids have come. It's been a blast and we are all definitely hooked. Even I, who has been a reasonably avid snowboarder for the past few years, have re-discovered my love of skiing, and sort of prefer it now. But, in typical fashion, when I see other snowboarders on the hill, they look cool, and wanting to be cool, like most guys, have this urge to snowboard as well. Just might do that if we make it to the hill today.

It was a Quechee reunion yesterday, and we saw bunch of our old friends from the days on the Green. Unfortunately, being the neurotic nut that I am, I was so focused on getting as much skiing in as I could that we didn't spend as much time hanging with friends, not that they wanted to hang out with us. The biggest bummer is missing out a on chance to chat with J, and A and I didn't get to really ski together, but sometimes things just don't work out. Hope to see J, A, and S soon and hope the kids can have a playdate, or at least hang out.

We did, however, have a blast skiing. The kids are getting a bit daring and search out the trails through the trees. There are times when I completely lose track of them, and have to come to terms with the fact that I'm beginning to get in the way. Then again, I guess as a parent, that's the goal. Either way, I prefer to have at least N in my sights at some point, and to be there for him if he falls, but he's perfectly capable of taking care of himself and has in fact recovered from assorted spills and skiied down the hill by himself. I.e., I'm worrying too much, but how can you not?

I still can't get over how much the kids love skiing, and it really boils down to timing. Something just clicked, and suddenly the love it. It's the same with music. I've tried to expose them to all sorts of music and encourage them to have eclectic taste, but most of it just becomes background sounds to the day. Just recently both the kids have shown an increased interest in music, and are forming their favorite bands and songs. It's kind of cool to see, and the precursor, in my opinion, of an interest in playing an instrument. We'll work on that one next. Right now, we're listening to a lot of oldies, and that's a good intro to pop music.

Today is Friday, and tonight is contradance. We haven't been to the past few, and feel like we should make an appearance because not only do we enjoy it, but feel like we should support JD because she works so hard on it. Had a beer with PD last night and he said he wasn't going, which is fine. We did the Skunk Hollow with GS and it was actually a fun evening, even though all I wanted to do was go to sleep after a long day of skiing. No rest for the weary.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: