Friday, February 19, 2010

Stupid Is As Stupid Does

In a futile effort on my part to be cool in front of my kids, which is ridiculous when you realize that as a parent, you'll never be cool in the eyes of your kids but will instead be a constant source of embarrassment, I was trying to do some tricks on my snowboard and ended up hurting my back. We'd built a jump in the backyard that was reasonably high. It was basically a long block of maple that the kids use as a bench. We covered it in snow and it made a fairly substantial jump.

The kids were sledding off of it and getting pretty good air, so naturally, wanting to fit in, I strapped on my board and jumped off it. It wasn't bad, but after about ten times, I began to realize that it was fairly jarring on the landing, especially on my back. Throw in a few wipeouts, and it spells disaster.

My back was killing me, to the point where I couldn't even get off the couch. It didn't help that we went skiing the next day, but in retrospect, it could have been our last time.

Now I suffer for my stupidity, but stupid is as stupid does. It ain't easy trying to be cool, especially when you fail so miserably.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: