Thursday, February 25, 2010

Waiting for My Turn

Well, as luck would have it, a few days before our big sojourn to the tropical islands, and we are sick. Actually, three-fourths of us are sick, I've yet to get hit with the bug, yet I know it's inevitable. With this in mind, knowing that I have little say in this matter, but perhaps sooner would be better than later. The bright side to all this is that we are (at least 3/4 of us) are getting sick before the trip, so hopefully we'll (or should I say "they") will be healthy before we board the plane. It's looking like that will be a distinct possibility. Me, on the other hand, will simply have to suffer accordingly. Oh well, such is life.

It all started a few days ago, after our big swimming ordeal with YKW. Not that she had anything to do with it, but it's interesting to consider the timing of it all. Anyway, N started with a cough, which built up to a pretty good sized cold. He sounded rough, and was coughing a fair amount. Enough to worry mom and dad. After a few days, A caught it, as did mom. Fortunately I was well enough to hold down the fort, not that a SAHD has much choice. That's one of the big luxuries you lose when you become a parent, or at least one who gives a damn about their family, and that's self-indulgence. There's just no room for it, life goes on. For the record, there are plenty of parents I've met who are still shamelessly self-indulgent, but I won't get into that here.

We've had to cancel several activities and lessons all week long, but it's been nice just hanging out at home and not having to run around. We're usually on the other side of this equation, all dressed up and nowhere to go, or rather, no car to take us to where we want to go. Now that we have wheels, thanks to my Mentor, of course, we can go places and actually be somebody. I'll be sad when my Mentor takes that car back, but he'll have to unchain me from the steering wheel first... just kidding.

I think the kids are feeling much better, and I'm just waiting for my turn. It's looking more and more like I'll be sick on vacation, but that's okay. At least I'll have plenty of time to rest.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to David Lat for the pic.

No comments: