Friday, June 21, 2013

Coming Home

A week or two back A went away to camp, her first experience for such a long duration, and she had an amazing time, but it’s nice to have her back. She’s such a presence, and I think N is happy to have her. He even said he missed her, which broke my heart, though it’s good for him to adjust to doing things without his sister because once she hits her teens, she’s not going to want to have him around. Again, this breaks my heart.

Either way, back home, all A could talk about was camp, which is proof positive that she had a great time. Plus, she made a boatload of friends, some of whom I’m hoping she’ll keep in touch with. A fair number live in the area, or at least the state. The interesting thing about this camp is that the kids come from as far away as Rhode Island. Crazy.

Her enthusiasm has inspired N to want to give it a try, and I’m all for it. When we went to the orientation, there were parents whose kids were skeptical about the camp and said they wouldn’t last a day, but according to the counselors, no kid has ever gone home early. It sort of makes sense, kids who are not as social can end up having a great time with a group of kids at camp. I never had this experience but wished I could have, and I love the fact the kids get to have a chance. The next camp is in the fall, so we’ll see where N stands then. I’d like to see him go but would never force the issue.

In the meantime, we have all summer to kick back and enjoy. As of today, A has not stopped talking about it. So far, so good.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to clang boom steam for the pic.

No comments: