Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Roller Derby Blast

This is sort of old news, but it was so much fun, I have to say something about it. A few weeks back we went to the roller derby, and it was a hoot. A was invited to a birthday party at the climbing gym, and N and I decided to check out the roller derby. Since it started after the party, we went to pick up A first and then headed over.

Now I’d never been to a roller derby, but I remember watching it as a kid on TV. It all seems so 70s, and struck me as a little rough. Plus, it seemed to involve rough women who smoked, spit, and had tattoos. Looking back on it, it was reminiscent to Wrestlemania, it was such a spectacle. This time around, I wasn’t sure what to expect, but A and N seemed enthused.

We arrived at the arena and there was a men’s match first. There was practically nobody in the audience, and it was a little sad, but I didn’t realize the women were the main event. It was actually good to watch the men first because we were able to familiarize ourselves with the rules. After the men finished, the women came out and warmed up, and that’s when the arena filled up. The place was packed, there were so many fans. I had no idea it was so popular.

Best of all, a bunch of A’s friends showed up, so she could hang, and even N had a buddy who showed up and they sat together. That left me to hang with some of the dads, and we could critique accordingly. It was a lot of fun, fairly rough but very entertaining. Those women really beat each other up, and I was thinking they would have slapped me around, no doubt. Plus, several of them were pretty big, not to mention aggressive and mean.

The bout ended fairly late, and on the ride home, the kids asked if we could go the next one. I’m all for it, it was fun, and I’m wondering if we can talk R into joining us. Somehow I doubt it, but you never know.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to F_Cruse for the pic.

No comments: