Monday, June 17, 2013

Happy Father’s Day

We had a nice father’s day yesterday, and though I’m rather cynical of these fabricated holidays (what holiday isn’t fabricated?), it doesn’t mean you can’t make the most of it and enjoy it. Besides, sometimes you need an excuse to mow the lawn.

I’m not one to make a big deal about a day, especially if it’s for me, but everyone else was excited to celebrate it, and I didn’t want to be the wet blanket, which is something I can excel at, though for the record, I’ve gotten much better. R and the kids wanted to do all sorts of things, and asked me what I wanted. I had only one request, and that was for a hot fudge sundae. There are so few occasions where I can eat ice cream with mom’s encouragement, so why not make the most of it.

We sort of winged it, and in the AM weren’t even sure what the plan was, but we gradually figured things out. Our lives right now are bit complicated by our search for new car, so we spent the better part of the morning shopping around. Believe me, it isn’t fun. I made pancakes and bacon for the kids because N missed out the day before at A’s sleepover because he was sick in bed, and A wasn’t complaining about getting pancakes two days in a row. We then set about doing some market stuff, and I was toying with the idea of mowing the lawn. You can’t get any more cliche than that, can you?

I went to the barn to tie up loose ends before we get the insulation in, and then it was lunchtime. By then, we had come up with a plan, and it went something like this. We would have lunch, then come home and do assorted things before having supper. We decided to BBQ steaks and burgers, and then afterward make our own brownie hot fudge sundaes. Since it was ultimate frisbee day, as well, I took the kids to the field and R stayed home and baked brownies and made hot fudge sauce. At that point, the weather was turning cool and gray, and it started to rain. The turnout at ultimate was poor, so we threw around for a bit and then went home early. Kind of a bummer, and makes me wonder what the future of ultimate is.

We hung out at home for a bit, I was still stuffed from lunch, but eventually we started to re-gain our appetites. Around 6:30 I fired up the grill, or rather, got the coals started, and then cooked the meat. I have to confess, the steak and burgers turned out nicely, and the kids were loving it. I’m glad N is feeling better (so glad!), and he ate a good meal. Afterward, R assembled the sundaes and they were amazing. So nice to have a big hot fudge sundae all to yourself. No question that it’s the best dessert, ever. Period.

Afterward, R cleaned up, the kids watched a movie, and I got to finally take my nap, albeit a short one, but a nap, nonetheless. What a fitting end to a great father’s day.

Hope everyone else had a great day. Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Dave Olsen and Ellen K for the pics.

No comments: