Wednesday, September 30, 2015

The Service Life

I was looking for some additional hours to make some extra cash and I have to say, it's been fairly fruitful at the Inn. Thanks again to my Mentor for hooking me up, because it's been rather enjoyable. We work hard, no doubt, but the work is not too stressful and the people, for the most part, are cool. It seems like the people higher up are the nicest, and the lower you go on the totem pole, they aren't always so friendly. This could simply be my imagination.

Whatever be the case, there seems to be plenty of hours to work. In fact, I can't accommodate them completely, and feel sort of bad, mainly because they are really nice about it. They have asked me to work on several occasions that I couldn't make, but they were really understanding about it. Personally, I would have taken the shifts except that I have so many other obligations at home and with the farmer's market, which will thankfully end soon.

The work itself is fairly energizing though not too stressful. Again, the people higher up are very cool and they don't put a lot of pressure on me. They're also very understanding of my rookie status and take the time to show me the ropes. I really like all the people I've worked for, it's sort of like a family, and they take it very seriously. We've done several weddings and corporate work parties, and they can be quite the affairs. Tons of good food and plenty of libations to grease the social wheels. I'm definitely struck by how much people drink and how much food gets wasted, but that's the way of the world. I was reading that over 1/3 of the food we eat gets thrown out, which is crazy when you think about it.

All in all, I'm enjoying it, and as I said, I'd work more hours if I could. Fall is the busy season with foliage and fall, and I think things will calm down in the next month. I'm not sure how much work there will be come winter, but I'll take what I can get. Then again, I'll probably be busy with hockey, skiing, and all that good stuff.


Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to Kevin Kidney for the pic.

No comments: