Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Firewood Therapy

Chalk it up to being a real man in training, but my outdoor ways have actually proven to have tangible health benefits. As you may know by now, I suffer from an assortment of physical maladies stemming from old age and the fact that my body is falling apart. One of the big ones is my back, specifically my upper back and neck. It has been aching and sore since the new year, with not much in the way of respite from the constant nagging ache that I've resigned myself to (apologies to my Mentor). Even though I'm good at whining and feeling sorry for myself, that doesn't mean that there aren't plenty of things that need to be done around the house, especially with the weather warming up. Many of these duties require some brute force and muscle, which worried me a bit with my injured spine and all.

This includes splitting wood. I confess to being a little worried about the consequences on my back, so I was avoiding it a bit. At some point, however, you just have to deal with life, so I went out and cautiously started to split wood, gearing up for next winter. Initially there was some pain in my shoulder and neck, but by the end of my splitting session, I actually found that I didn't feel that bad. In fact, I might be so bold as to say I felt better. Maybe the jerking motion of the maul aligned my spine, or something like that, but whatever be the case, it went pretty well. Not only did my sore neck and back feel okay, but I got some stuff done that needed to be done. I love when that happens.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Hand Galldin for the pic.


No comments: