Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Nowhere to Hide

I've become the semi-official timer for N's LAX games, and I don't mind doing it because I not only get a great seat to watch the game, but I get to converse with the referees and coaches to get an insider's view of the game. This benefits of LAX neophyte as myself. The only problem I run into is that standing there for an hour (or two if it's a doubleheader) can wreck havoc on my back. Plus, it's a little stressful being charge of something that affects everyone in attendance, and it definitely makes it a bit more challenging to follow the game.

With this in mind, the last game the kids had I was a little reluctant to keep the time, and with minutes to go before the face-off, I figured they had found someone else and was off the hook. This, it turns out, was not the case, and I saw the coach LP approaching the spectator section for what I assumed was a search for someone to keep time, i.e., yours truly. I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I took the cowardly route and stood behind JL, thinking they wouldn't see me. When LP called out my name, however, I knew there was nowhere to run, so I manned-up and accepted my fate.

I figured all was well until one of the other coaches, JW, was teasing me about hiding behind JL and that they wouldn't ask me to do it all of the time. Talk about being mortified, I felt like a big fat loser. My son also gave me a hard time about hiding. At that point, I told the coaches I'm happy to keep time and help, thus solidifying my position at timekeeper. How do I get myself into these things? At the next game, not only did I come forward and volunteer to keep time, but I brought my own stopwatch. How's that for making a statement?

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Proefjes.nl for the pic.

No comments: