Saturday, May 7, 2016

Season Opener

Not in terms of sports, but weddings. The season of marital bliss has begun, and it looks like it's going to be busy as usual. Last year I started working in catering in the fall when things were busy but were definitely winding down. I get a sense that summer is the hot season (no pun intended) for getting hitched, and I wasn't really around for it, so this should be interesting, to say the least. This past weekend was the first one for this year, and not only was it a pretty big one, but we are employing new methods to serving them which basically entail more formal attire and more efficient service.

This wedding was actually a very nice one, with a big contingent of sophisticated Canadian city-folks, I believe from Montreal. There was a lot of French being spoken, and they went all out on the decor, renting furniture and linens just for the occasion. It was actually very nice, and I think the crowd was pretty civil despite the copious amounts of alcohol that are always consumed. One thing that struck me was that the young people, who were all painfully hip, had an appreciation for fine wine. I think they were all going into banking.

Either way, it was a crazy night, and I had to work the next morning at the breakfast buffet. The bride's family was amazingly friendly, and they lucked out on having beautiful weather on their wedding day because the next morning at breakfast it was rainy and bit dreary. Then again, the young couple were a pair of go-getters who wouldn't let a little bad weather ruin their day - they ran a 10K on their wedding day. How's that for grabbing life by the horns?

And so it begins. Things are picking up with my other catering job and I have another potential gig lined up in the big city, so I may have to start being selective about what jobs to take. Suddenly I'm so special and important... yeah, right. In a perfect world I'd like to be able to take all the gigs so I can make more money to support our fabulous lifestyles, but you can't have it all, can you?

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to tripeace for the pic.

No comments: