Thursday, May 26, 2016

More Too Much of a Good Thing

This is too crazy to even fathom, but our wood guy, TB, finally made contact with us. The call came in the morning to let us know that he was bringing a load of wood... that morning. How's that for giving us time to prepare? I was drinking my morning coffee around 7:00AM when the phone rings and it's another logger, JW, who works with our wood guy, TB. He says he's got a load of wood and needs directions to our house. I told him I had no idea he was coming or for that matter that TB had wood for me, but he didn't want to hear my sob story, he just wanted to deliver the wood and get his money. Fair enough.

You may recall that I was whining about my lack of communication with said logger, TB. I had been calling him for the past couple of months asking for some indication that he could in fact get me the wood. He usually gets back to me at some point, but this time I got a sense that it wasn't going to happen, though in all fairness he has pointed out that he's always come through. It may take him months to get back to me, but he is reliable. In my defense, it doesn't hurt to know beforehand that he can in fact get me the wood, or for that matter, when it will come. This is also helpful because he prefers to be paid in cash and I need a little forewarning to get the money ready.

Either way, I hadn't heard from him all season, even after calling him several times. I sort of figured that this might be the year that he wouldn't come through, so I went and contacted another logger, DS, who also happens to be our friend and neighbor. He said he could get me wood no problem, but it wouldn't be right away. Plus, he has a small trailer that only holds about two and half cords, so I asked for two loads. He said it wouldn't be a problem, and just like that, there was light at the end of the tunnel. It wouldn't be as much would as we usually get, but it would be enough to keep my mind at ease.

Then the phone call came. I felt like I couldn't bail out on DS because I set things in motion, so in the end I'll end up with a little over 10 cords of log length wood. Mind you, I'm not complaining, I love when my cup runneth over, especially when it comes to firewood, but needless to say, I've got my work cut out for me. I sure am glad we're not doing the farmer's market.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: